Friday, January 25, 2008

Agent 45's Recent Playlists

Brian Poust AKA Agent 45 has dropped me his playlists from a recent gig he did:

What a night. I was fortunate enough to pull double duty and spin 45s with my man T1 at the Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings show at Variety Playhouse last night. It seems like ages since they were in town and it was fun to see them on a large stage with a sold out house of 1000+ all digging their tunes.

Though it had snowed most of the day, the streets dried up nicely and the cold and snow didn't seem to keep anyone at home! Terry and I tag-teamed with he on one turntable and I on the other.

My half sounded a little bit like this:

Before the show until the Ivan Milev Band:

Freddie Scott - (You) Got What I Need (Shout)
Ralph Jackson - Don't Tear Yourself Down (Amy)
Betty Everett - Nothing I Wouldn't Do (ABC)
Lee Fields - Tyra's Song (A&T)Barbara Carr - Shake Your Head (Checker)
Soul Ambassadors - I've Got the Feeling (SS7)
Helena Hollins - Baby You're Right (Stonegood)
Jimmie Willis - Soul Power Pt. 1 (Orr)
James Crawford - If You Don't Work You Can't Eat (Mercury)
George Hughley - That's Why I Cry (Buddah)

Between the Iven Milev Band and the Dap-Kings:

Benny Poole - Pearl Baby Pearl (Solid Hit)
The Jades - Hotter Than Fire (Cherry Red)
Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Wooman (Tribe)
Betty Harris - 12 Red Roses (Sansu)
Billy Butler - I'll Bet You (Brunswick)
Little Sonny - Latin Soul (Revilot)
Yvonne Fair - Just As Sure (Smash)

I nipped out before the encore to get over to Tim Lawrence's monthly Rhythm & Soul spectacular, our very own Rhythm & Booze. R&B is held right next door to the Variety at El Myr, so it was a quick stroll. Tim was already well into his first set of the night and I have to remark at how nice it is to leave a soul concert and walk into a small bar pumping great R&B - makes a man feel good. Here's what I wound up playing.

Set One (11:30)

Roosevelt Lee - Hey Little Girl (Fraternity)
Danny White - Miss Fine Miss Fine (Frisco)
Buddy Cantrell - You Ain't No Good (Tuska)
E. Rodney Jones - R&B Time (Tuff)
Betty Everett - Nothing I Wouldn't Do (ABC)
Johnnie Mae Matthews - Lonely You'll Be (Jam)
Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart (Ric Tic)
Butch Baker - The Fat Man (St. Lawrence)
Lavern Baker - Batman To the Rescue (Brunswick)
Johnny & Lily - Your Love Is Getting To Me Babe (UA)
Sharon Jones - What Condition My Condition Was In (Daptone)
Gwen Davis - My Man Don't Think I Know (SS7)
Johnny Williams - You've Got It (Kent)
Robert Ward - I Will Fear No Evil (Groove City)
Soul Partners - Spead (Bell)
Ike & Tina Turner - Finger Poppin (WB)
Gerri Granger - Breakdown (Big Top)
The 5 Royales - Within My Heart (King)
The Invictors - Put Her Down (TPE)
Nappy Brown - Coal Miner (Savoy)
Lester Young - Wobble Time (Chase)
Louis Jordan - Workin' Man (Tangerine)

Set Two (1:30)

Gary US Bonds - I Wanna Holler (Legrand)
The Knight Bros - Second Hand Lover (Checker)
Jesse Henderson - The Gator (Gold Dust)
James Brown & the Famous Flames - I Feel That Old Feeling Coming On (Federal)
Demon Brothers - Uh Huh (Quinvy)
Nathaniel Mayer - Leave Me Alone (Fortune)
Huey (Piano) Smith - Don't You Just Know It (Ace)
Ronnie & the Ramblers - Woman of Mine (R and R)
Mickie Champion - What Good Am I (Musette)
Little Johnny Taylor - Somewhere Down the Line (Galaxy)
Little Walter Hammond - Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide (Duo Disc)
Alan Knight - Chills (Tide)
ZZ Hill - One Way Love Affair (MH)
Ray Pettis - Don't Use Me (Exodus)
Major Lance - Do the Tighten Up (Dakar)
Eddie Bo - Every Dog Got His Day (Ric)
Lonnie Lester - You Can't Go (Nu-Tone)
Otis Redding & The Pinetoppers - Shout Bamalama (Confederate)
Junior Wells - Shake It Baby (Vanguard)

Some very tasty sounds there!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment