Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Eddie Foster Closer Together Ocampo




After a previous post on Eddie, I had a few people contact me about his whereabouts and what he recorded. To date though I have had a few leads I still haven't tracked Eddie down to hopefully interview him about his career.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share the above track which is possibly the rarest of Eddie's 45s and has had plays on the UK rare soul scene. You can find it on Goldmine CD "The Northern Soul Of LA Vol 2".

Zack Slovinsky was one person who contacted me and provided me with a partial discography:-

IN 6311 I Never Knew/I Will Wait
Lyons 621 I May Be Wrong/Won't Be Your Fool
Lyons ? I Need Love/?
Progress 116 I'm Grown / What You Putting Down
Ocampo 100 You Are The Only One/Closer Together

I know Eddie played guitar around the Bay Area for many years because his name has come up in conversations with Bay Area artists and he is documented as performing on The Natural 4's ABC album and Lonnie Hewitt's Wee album.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:34 PM

    I have a 45rpm by Little Eddie Foster with the Al Tanner Octet on LUCK. It is a "Promotional Copy Not To Be Sold" Vocal, Starlight Record Co. 3112 Market St. Oakland, Calif. The record number is 100A & 100B. The tunes are Find someone & If you don't love me.
    I hope this info helps someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Hi Colin,
    'You Are The Only One' apparently appears on West Coast Vocal Group Treasures Vol. 2 but I can't verify this.

    Blues Discog 1943-70 by Fancourt & McGrath lists the following for Eddie: -

    If You Don't Love Me/Find Someone (Luck 100) Oakland 1961

    I Goofed/One More Chance (Luck 104)

    You Are THe Only One/I Need Love (Lyons 108)

    I'm Grown/What You Putting Down (Lyons 116 also Progress 116)

    I May Be Wrong/I Won't Be Your Fool (Lyons 621)

    Closer Together/Don't Make Me Cry (Ocampo 100) Oakland 1965

    Very little info on playing personnel but interestingly the great Johnny Heartsman is listed as playing guitar on Luck 104.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are interested in buying Eddie Foster's 45's... Craig Moerer sells them at:
    https://www.recordsbymail.com/idev/idevaffiliate.php?id=169

    Listening to:EDDIE FOSTER I Won't Be Your Fool LYONS 621 could it be Cal Valentine playing guitar??? Cal also recorded a 45 for Lyons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:56 PM

    I think the matrix number I took from Blues Discog is incorrect. The Cal Valentine 45 'Boogie Twist' was def issued as Lyons 108. I've actually seen that one. I've never seen Eddie's You Are The Only One/I Need Love.

    The very great Eugene Blacknell is credited in Blues Discog as playing on Lyons 621. Tough on Eddie, it would appear he didn't get to play guitar on his own records. I wish someone would go see him and ask him..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I think the matrix number I took from Blues Discog is incorrect. The Cal Valentine 45 'Boogie Twist' was def issued as Lyons 108. I've actually seen that one. I've never seen Eddie's You Are The Only One/I Need Love.

    The very great Eugene Blacknell is credited in Blues Discog as playing on Lyons 621. Tough on Eddie, it would appear he didn't get to play guitar on his own records. I wish someone would go see him and ask him..

    ReplyDelete