Friday, July 14, 2006

Joe Perkins Article In Shades Of Soul 32

Posted by PicasaI hadn't played my Joe Perkins 45's for an age. However, reading an article about him in the latest Shades Of Soul sent me off to the shelves to dig them out. It is funny sometimes because you can forget how good certain sides are and the above falls into that category. A true dep soul gem from the Bluff City itself, Memphis and one of the highlights of the 60's in that city.

However, I have yet to find anyone who knew him though I have extensive contacts in the city. It is strange how such good singers can just disappear off the radar but then he hasn't recorded as far as I know since the early 70's and that is now a long time ago!!!!!

Check out Derek Peason's article for a full run down of Joe's 45s.

1 comment:

  1. It is my understanding that Joe Perkins and George Perkins (who still lives in Baton Rouge) were kin, possibly brothers, although I don't know that for certain, but I have been told that. Joe recorded at Willie Mitchell's studio, and locating him (if he's living) may be as simple as asking Mitchell about him

    ReplyDelete