Thursday, July 13, 2006

Joe Weaver RIP

Courtesy Sis Wendal
Joe Weaver at Utrecht Blues Estafette 2002
I had hoped that Joe would pull through after his recent stroke but sadly he died on 5th July 2006.

There have been some wonderful tributes to the man over on Sixties Detroit Forum especially from RJ Spangler who worked with Joe in recents times on the Motor City Rhythm & Blues Pioneers Shows. Many of the forum members have shared stories about Joe or uploaded archive material to reflect his important contribution to the Detroit music scene from the 1940's.

I saw Joe perform several times over in Holland. I still recall standing at the bar at the Utrecht Blues Estafette back in the late 90's taking a rest between performances. All of a sudden, I heard the most wonderful version of "I Found A Love" being sung. I dashed out to the stage to see Joe delivering with the Johnny Bassett band what has become for me one of the more memorable performances from the festival.

In 2002, I was able to meet Joe and I have fond memories of chatting with him and doing a few radio checks. I still smile when I think of how he organised his fellow Motor City Rhythm & Blues Pioneers - Kenni Martin and Stanley Mitchell on stools with himself to have their photos taken.

Sue Whitall has written a very touching obituary in the Detroit News which reflects my feelings that we are losing our heroes far too quickly. We should do everything we can to cherish them before they all go.

No comments:

Post a Comment