Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mister King Take Shape


Mister King Take Shape Snippets

I originally read about this album on Soul Treasures but returned to it after Dave Cole reviewed it for In The Basement magazine. If you listen to the above snippets you can hear that this is very different.

Here's some background info:

Mister King, born and raised Philadelphia. In total love with the art of expression! carrying the torch that his momma, the late, great "back to soul" Anna king of the "James Brown Review" passed on to him. He's hungry and he's searching for that place where Jimi Hendrix or John Coltrane fed us from. He dares to be different in a world of "junk food" music! And soon you will witness open pages of his passionate journal, with words that are as sweet as molasses to words that would cut you down to the root. His amazing new album "Take Shape" bursts through every bit of wicked chapters he has endured in his life and will show you just where he is standing this very moment.

You can get copies from CD Baby

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:37 PM

    Being in the right place at the right time has it's rewards, just taking the time to stop into Doc Watsons Pub for a drink made my day. Mister King was performing that night and me never having heard of them was quite interesting. From the creativly written lyrics to the multi chamelionish changes, this group blew me away. I bought the cd "Take Shape" and gave a listen on my ride home, all I can say is "WOW". From the opening "What shaped the dreamer" to "Blues in the key of c" this cd is a rare find and it remains in my cd player. One word of advice for you Mister King, on your next cd don't try and change from your sound to please others, just keep it real and truthful and you'll be on your way. Also rock out a little more and give us more of that guitar edge as on the song "Home" and please less vulgarness. All in all this cd is a plus for any music lover of jazz/R&B...

    Russell Smill

    ReplyDelete
  2. in one breath you say to not
    change what I do to for others
    but then you say to be less vulgar.
    Life was pretty "vulgar" to me
    so I try to give a vivid picture
    of how I feel.
    I hear Miley Cyrus records PG material if that suits you better:)

    peace, king

    ReplyDelete