Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sir Mack Rice

With Mack in Memphis 2003

Sir Mack Rice Cadillac Assembly Line Live Version

I was recently reminded that the only person who is still alive name checked in Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" is Sam Moore of Sam & Dave fame. The others mentioned Lou Rawls, Dave Prater, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and James Brown have all gone to soul heaven. The only person linked by the lyrics of the song who is still alive and kicking is Mack Rice. Mack Rice wrote "Mustang Sally" mentioned in Conley's famous song.

This weekend, Mack Rice is making a rare Chicago appearance in a tribute to Albert King at the Cadillac Palace. He will be backed by the Platinum Band, a Chicago-based group that played behind the late Tyrone Davis and now performs with Otis Clay. Big Time Sarah opens the show, followed by guest spots from Lurrie Bell, Melvin Taylor and Carl Weathersby.Mack Rice has his own website which is well worth visiting for his photo gallery. You can also pick up a copy of his latest CD "Get That Money"with his new monicker "The Old Gangster Of Hip Hop Blues". He's revamped his old songs such as "Dark Skin Woman", "Cadillac Assembly Line", "Respect Yourself", "Cheaper To Keep Her"etc which is better than some observers have stated!

You can hear sound bites on his site so make up your own mind up. However, I do agree that the standout track on the CD is the re-working of one of his old tracks "Right Now" called "Right Now, America" which demonstrates he can still do it!!!

The track I featured above is a live version of "Cadillac Assembly Man" from the Eleventh Anniversary Collection of Blue Suit Records, the label Mack recorded the original version of "Right Now" for back in the early 90's.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:47 PM

    I met Mack at Aretha's house in the late sixties in Det. Mack and Ted White,Ronny Shannon,and Lee Rogers hounded me daily to start my writing career. Mack's energy was so addicting I had to pick up my Pen.
    A few years later Lee Rogers and I were signed by Gwen Gordy to her Motown Production Co in Hollywood Ca.
    To this day when I write a tune Mack's Energy seems to make it happen, my song catalog is now with EMI and I can thank Mack Rice for his influence and his inspiration he shared with me.
    RG Ingersoll/Hotrax/The Reno Sound

    ReplyDelete