Monday, June 05, 2006

Little Buster I Got A Good Thing Going



It is always sad to dig out 45s by artists after they have died and playing through Little Buster's records over the last couple of weeks since his death is no exception.

I was particular moved to read a post on the Little Buster by Red Kelly on B-sides one of my favourite blogs. The reason I was moved was his depiction of Little Buster being a journeyman singer in the nightclubs of New York who occasionally recorded and the impact on Red when he heard Little Buster sing. Red's account of his meeting with Little Buster and hearing him sing sums up for me how soul music gets under your skin and uplifts you like no other music.

I have chosen Little Buster's "I Got A Good Thing Going" mainly because it was the first record of his that I heard. This archetypal stomper, with its blaring horns and crunching beat reinforced with the impassioned vocals from Little Buster, was a perfect recipe for my tired, old feet to hit the dance floor one more time back in the mid 70's.

As I am typing, I have taken the 45 off and put on a wonderful CD collection of all his Jubilee and Josie recordings which was issued back in 1996 by Sequel. You should still be able to pick up this CD off Amazon and you will be hard pressed to find a better collection of 60's soul. This CD came out a time when Little Buster had achieved wider recognition with the release of his first new recordings in nearly 30 years with his Bullseye CD "Right On Time". This has to be one of the best CDs released in the 90's and again should easily be obtained off the Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment