Tuesday, August 21, 2007

George Scott Find Someone To Love Maple

It is funny how things turn out - I submit over 10,000 words on Johnny Brantley to There's That Beat magazine and within a week or so I turn up more information etc on Johnny - always the way!!


Today, I awoke to discover that someone in the States has beaten Sanctuary Records to the punch by reissuing the elusive George Scott album on the All Platinum distributed Maple label. The album is one of Johnny Brantley's most consistent productions and a long lost soul classic.

I did mention this album back in January as part of my ongoing research into Johnny Brantley's productions. I only found out about this album about 2 years ago when there was a discussion on Soul Talk discussion group about the Maple label. Mr Finewine aka Matt Weingarden mentioned the album on Maple which was unknown to everyone I knew. I asked Matt for some details and discovered that it was a Johnny Brantley production.

Then a few months later I thought I had it on Ebay only to be sniped at last second! Everyone who I asked about the album either hadn't heard it or even heard of it so in my mind that makes it rare!!! When I was in New Jersey last year, I met a very interesting guy - I've unfortunately forgotten his name - who owned a record shop in NJ during the 60's and 70's - he collected All Platinum material and when I mentioned it to him he didn't know it - which did amaze me because everything else came into his shop because he dealt directly with the Robinsons before they had a distributor.

I think the other amazing thing about the album is how good it is - sometimes very rare albums have one track but this is the complete opposite.

Here is what the album liner notes said at the time:

HERE'S GEORGE SCOTT - DOING WHAT MANY TALENTED YOUNGSTERS ARE ACHING DEEP INSIDE TO DO - RECORD AN ALBUM, TO BE HEARD BY MILLIONS, TO DECIDE THEIR FATE IN THIS ROUGH LIFE AND BUSINESS CALLED ENTERTAINMENT. GEORGE, LIKE SO MANY OTHET TALENTED YOUTHS OF OUR TIMES, COMES FROM WHAT TODAY WOULD BE CONSIDERED A LARGE FAMILY CONSISTING OF NINE, GEORGE BEING THE EIGHT. THIS ALONE, FOR A POOR FAMILY FROM PINELAND, SOUTH CAROLINA CAUSE COMPETITION TO FIND A PLACE IN THE SUN. GEORGE SCOTT WANTED TO SING AND SING HE DOES, INSPIRED BY MARVIN GAYE, THE LATE OTIS REDDING, WILSON PICKETT. HUNG BETWEEN THESE GIANTS, ONE HAS TO FIND A WAY TO BE HIMSELF. THAT'S WHERE GEORGE SCOTT IS NOW - GETTING INTO HIS OWN BAG. YOU RECORD BUYERS WILL DETERMINE THE FATE OF GEORGE SCOTT. BUT OF COURSE, THE DISC JOCKIES ACROSS THE NATION WILL HAVE TO FIRST SAY TO THEMSELVES "LET A MAN COME IN - LET HIS TALENTS BE HEARD - HERE'S GEORGE SCOTT." HOPE YOU ENJOY HIS EFFORTS - EDDIE O'JAY ARTIST: GEORGE SCOTT PRODUCED BY: JOHNNY BRANTLEY ALBUM DESIGN: CHROMO PHOTO: CHUCK STEWART MAPLE RECORDS ALL PLATINUM RECORD CO.. INC.. 106 W. PALISADE AVE., ENGLEWOOD, N. J. 07631 AVAILABLE ON 8-TRACK TAPES AND CASSETTES, EXCLUSIVELY BY AMPEX

Here's a break down of the tracks:

Family Tree

This is another storming version of the well-known Northern dance floor classic recorded by Jimmy Norman on Mercury.

Let The Past Be The Past

This is a slightly different version of Ray Lewis’s Fairmount side Give My Love A Try and one of the best ever songs from the pens of Johnny's writing team J. Lewis/E. Lewis/M. Farmer.

My Neighbourhood

A powerful piece of Johnny Brantley soul also covered by Ohio Players on their First Impressions album. Another J. Lewis/E. Lewis/M. Farmer song

This Aching Heart

I haven't identified another version as yet - I am sure I have another version somewhere!! The song was written by Ray Lewis who had 2 releases by Johnny on Fairmount and Smash to be featured soon on IDR.

Ooh Baby I Love You

Actually credited to J. Lewis/E. Lewis/M. Farmer on the album but surely this is a very atmospheric version of the Fred Hughes classic with what sounds like the Ohio Players on backing.

Find Someone To Love

Yet another powerful piece of Johnny Brantley soul also covered by Ohio Players on their First Impressions album.

Why Is It Taking So Long

Nate Adams on Atlantic covered this superb J. Lewis/E. Lewis/M. Farmer song as did Hermon Hitson but his cut remained unissued until Soul Tay Us released it in 2006.

Sweet Thang

This is another crunching version of Billy LaMont’s 20th Century classic.

I'm A Fool For You

A beautiful mid-tempo side penned by J. Lewis/E. Lewis/M. Farmer and possibly the best track on the album. I was recently sent a CD-R containing another vocal version taken off one of the fake Jimi Hendrix compilations. However, I feel it was possibly recorded by Gloria Barnes and The Ohio Players and issued as a Jimi Hendrix fake.

Nobody Can Save Me

Yet a further cover of the side cut by the Chosen Few.

I have no other details on George Scott except what I have posted above which is shame because he recorded one of the best ever 60s albums and few people know about it. Let’s hope with this release this will change. Check out copies at Dusty Groove.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Hi. I found this album in a local (UK) record shop in the early 90s. I asked around among various collectors, but no one appeared to know of it and there was comparatively little interest.

    Both "Why Is It Taking So Long" and "Family Tree" in particular are superior to the originals in my opinion. (The latter would have been a Northern Soul monster during the Torch era!)

    Maybe now George Scott will get a little belated recognition, as I think he's a very good singer indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoke to George two hours ago. He's thrilled at the new attention the album is getting.

    ReplyDelete