Thursday, November 08, 2007

Tobias Kirmayer's 'Soul Popcorn' Radioshow

Tobias Kirmayer is best known for his Tramp Record label but he hosts a radio show called Soul Popcorn with Daniel Köhler. here's what Tobis has to say about the show:

Together with Daniel Köhler I started a two-weekly radio show called 'Soul Popcorn' in march 2006. It takes place every second wednesday on Munich's independent radio station M94.5. We focus on Rare Funk, Raw Soul & Latin-Boogaloo. You can listen to it via live stream.For more info click here.

Here's Tobias's profile:

I began collecting records in the early 1990s. Influenced by my brother's excellent music tastes, I too quickly became a vinyl junky. At first only interested in Funk/Soul and Hip Hop, my musical interests developed over the years, adding Afro, Latin/Brasilian and funky Breaks and Beats to my pallet. In 2000 I became a professional DJ. In the same year I was touring Europe with 'The Poets of Rhythm', the worlds first retro-funk band which brought back the deep funk sound and had released one of their last albums on DJ Shadow's Quannum label. I continued DJ-ing and finally did a huge tour in June/July 2006 where I toured Europe and Australia to promote my second compilation 'Movements 2'. Watch out for the first compilation on Tramp entitled "This Is My Thing" which is out by May 2007.

A recent guest Max played a great set here is the link to listen to the show:

http://web5.v579.ncsrv.de/mp3/SoulPopcornRadio.mp3

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Big Joe Louis & Soul Investigators – Go-Go Train (TIMMION)
2. Lee Fields – You Made A New Man Out Of Me (SOUL FIRE lp-track)
3. Sharon Jones & Dap-Kings – Money Don’t Make The Man (DAPTONE)
4. Hot Property - Hard To Handle (GENERATION)
5. Paul Humphrey & His Cool Aid Chemists – Funky L.A. (LIZARD)
6. Sharon Jones & Dap-Kings – Keep On Looking (DAPTONE lp-track)
7. Sonny Raye & Fancy - Whip It On Me (JET STREAM)
8. Meters – Message From The Meters (JOSIE)
9. Little Johnny Hamilton – Do The Popcorn (SOUL SHACK)
10. F.B.I. – Rhythm Trip (DAISY)
11. 1984 – Psychadelic Love (ROUND)
12. New Yorkers – I Don’t Want To Be Your Fool (TAC-FUL)
13. Ulysses Crockett – Sunshine Superman (TRANSVERSE)
14. Freddie Fender & Comancheros – Boogaloo En Monterrey (DISCOS DOMINANTE)
15. unknown ???
16. Outcasts – Loving You Sometimes (PLATO)
17. Hykkers – Stone The Flower (H.M.V.)
18. Sunchild – Betwixt The Humps (STARBOUND)
19. Gabo Brown & Orchestre Poly-Rythmo – It’s A Vanity (ALBARIKA STORE)
20. Black Apollos – Funky Living (T.S.P.)
21. Gloria Barnes – I'll Call You Back Later (MAPLE)
22. Flewellen & Globe Masters – Cisumdoom (UNLIMITED)
23. Jimmy Ricks – Oh! What A Feeling (FESTIVAL)
24. Ronnie McCain – This Time I’m Gone (TRIODE)
25. Claude 'Baby' Huey – Drifting (M.I.O.B.)
26. Duke & Leonard – Just Do The Best You Can (STOMP TOWN)
27. Tom-Emmanuel & Ron Experience – Don’t Lose Your Groove (GOLDEN THREE)
28. Johnny King & Fatback Band – Keep On Brother, Keep On (B.C. PROJECT II)
29. Shades Of Time – Can You Dig It (BETTER WORLD)
30. Prince Eddie – Let A Woman Be A Woman (AZTEC)
31. Apollos – Soul Funk-Tion (JAMAL)
32. Betty Johnson – Can’t Help Myself (MID-WAY)
33. King C – Funk pt.II (NU-SOUND)
34. Electrostats – 21st Century Kenya (THREE OAKS)
35. Kokolo – The Way Up pt.I (TRAMP)
36. Ray J & Norma Jean – Raising Hell (HEP ME)
37. Rusty Bryant – Wildfire (PRESTIGE lp-track)
38. Doug Carn - Higher Ground (BLACK JAZZ lp-track)
39. Pi-R-Square – Fantasy pt.I (JAZZMAN)

6 comments:

  1. From: Prof. Ulysses S. Crockett, Jr., vibraphone performer on donovan's 'Sunshine Superman' along with the great Bing Nathan-bass; Wamu Rudurudu-drums; Harold 'Butch' Haynes-congas' late John Richard Miller-piano. We performed at San Francisco's Haight Level lounge at Haight and Ashbury in the late sixties. Thanks for including our rendition on our exciting, historic creative selection show. Google ulysses crockett for information of my current activities. echojurist@yahoo.com. Happy New Year 2008

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: Prof. Ulysses S. Crockett, Jr., vibraphone performer on donovan's 'Sunshine Superman' along with the great Bing Nathan-bass; Wamu Rudurudu-drums; Harold 'Butch' Haynes-congas' late John Richard Miller-piano. We performed at San Francisco's Haight Level lounge at Haight and Ashbury in the late sixties. Thanks for including our rendition on our exciting, historic creative selection show. Google ulysses crockett for information of my current activities. echojurist@yahoo.com. Happy New Year 2008

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:35 PM

    This is really great to hear the music of U.S Crockett doing Sunshine Superman exist for me to listen to. My sister Lettie J Glaude managed the group during that time. It was one of my first experiences getting to know the inner workings of a band. The band let me do my first jam at 12 years old with them. I always wonder what happened to Crockett as sis use to call him. Later in my career as a trumpeter and trombonist I saw Butch Hayes on the Ave (Telegraph Ave Berkeley, CA) when he was playing with Malo. How can I get a copy of this music.

    Remus Glaude
    www.romulusmusic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:53 PM

    It is great to know what happened to Ulysses S. Crockett. My sister managed Crockett's band for awhile and he let me jam with then a practice when I was 12 years old. The experience spurred me on to do music and not fall into a life of crime as so many inner city black kids eventually did back in the late 60's. I had trouble listening to the music when it is fixed I be really jazzed to listen. I will never forget Sunshine Superman
    Remus Glaude
    www.romulusmusic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:00 PM

    From: Ulysses Crockett To: Sir Remus Glaude
    1. Great to hear from you. Love and regards to Lettie Glaude, your family and associates. Marvelous is our music especially Sol Duc and other renditions. Was that Mr. Glaude playing with the World Saxophone Quartet video. Great eclectic work. Google Funky16Corners3rdAnniversary Mix to hear'Major Funky'. Feel free to do any of my music. echojurist@yahoo.com. Contact: 3850 San Pablo Avenue #410, Emeryville, CA 94608; 510.597.1959. James and Butch are in Bay Area presently. James Levi just put out his CD 'Knee Deep'. Google him online to hear the selections. Paul Jackson has 'Funk On A Stick' which is available on the web also. Let me hear from you O talented intelligent musicologist philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Butch' can now be glimpsed on this Youtube video which I shot some years ago and kept in the archives.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adx2fK43EV0

    Zeno

    ReplyDelete