Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Barrett Strong Stronghold 2

I was recently trawling through MySpace and came across Barrett Strongs's profile. I have always been a big fan of his post Motown recordings especially his 2 Capitol albums. I really enjoyed his Stronghold 2 album which he released in the early Millennium and which surprisingly he doesn't mention in his MySpace blurb. It is a pity that the album didn't have more exposure because it seems to have passed a lot of people by which is a shame.

Here's Barrett Strong's MySpace blurb:

THANK GOD for LIFE FIRST OFF! I have been underground here in Detroit for a few years now after some rough times in my life but feel now is the time to let people know! I am still Alive!! HA so here it goes.............

I was a pivotal figure in Motown's formative years, singer/composer and a key associate and friend of Berry Gordy. "Money (That's What I Want)” for Anna Records in 1960 provided vital capital for Gordy to expand his operation. The song gave me my only major hit as a vocalist, reaching ..2 on the R&B charts and barely missing the pop Top 20. Check out the BEATLES cover video below.

During the late '60s and early '70s, I collaborated with Norman Whitfield on some historic songs including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby," "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," "Ball of Confusion," "War," and "Take Me in Your Arms and Love Me." I put a list of my songs under influences so you young cats can get an Idea of the work involved here.

I left Motown when the label moved to Los Angeles in 1972, and I signed with Epic. Soon I moved to Capitol where I pressed up the LP "Stronghold" released in 1975 and later Live & Love in 1976. "Man Up in the Sky" was a '70s soul gem and I often sing it to my self. I continued into the '80s, recording "Rock It Easy” for an independent label and writing and arranging "You Can Depend on Me" which was included on The Dells' The Second Time LP in 1988.

I was inducted into the SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME in 2004 and the ROCK IN ROLL HALL OF FAME in 2000 so my licks are good huh. I recently recorded some interviews about the Motown days and my start, there is at least an hour of video but this is all thats out now, see below.

I record and perform out of Detroit and am avaliable on a limited engagement basis see my contact info.

A few years ago I began to introduce the world to new Detroit musical talent. My first artist "Eliza" is a Amazing Singer/Songwriter and Detroit stunner, she is now operating under www.myspace.com/elizaneals and I believe is a true rock and soul gift. On her new album "No Frogs for Sankes" I gave her the title of the album and co-wrote a few of the songs, its a must have! At my recent 2006 Show at BB Kings in New York City, she played piano and backup vocals to a sold out house!

My Son Chelson is a chip off the old block. He is a talented young man with his own Group here in Detroit. www.myspace.com/relaxthekaveman He is a great artist and I expect him to follow his heart and Make his Daddy proud!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Barrett is AMAZING and his album Stronghold II can be found soon at cdbaby.com/barrettstrong!!! You all can get digital downloads of that superb album SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete