Friday, January 19, 2007

Donnie Burks I Was Satisfied Metromedia



My first introduction to the music of Donnie Burks was following an all-dayer in 1976 at Manchester's Ritz Ballroom after I bought his Metromedia 45. Back then, I used to play "You'll Never Know What You Have" which became a firm favourite on those Tuesday night soul sessions with my mates Nick Cowan and John Clement which I have mentioned before on the blog. It was a perfect sound for those nights because then we were chasing down 70's mid-tempo items and tracks which were later called "crossover".

Donnie also had a Decca 45 "Satisfaction Guaranteed" which was a 200 mph side with mock live sounds. Later, a mate Rob Wilks in Singapore found a European release called "The Swingin' Sound Of Soul" on Europa which had 10 tracks which were probably recorded in Germany.

On trips to Europe, I always looked out for a copy and managed to find one in Amsterdam several years ago. Unfortunately, the sleevenotes are not very extensive but they tell us that he was born in Long Island in 1942. Apparently, he worked on Broadway, TV and made radio appearances and that's all we get!

A few years ago, I decided to play "I Was Satisfied" which has now become my favourite side of the 45 and so I thought I'd share it with you after I passed it on the shelves while looking for something else.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Donnie Burks The Swingin' Sound of Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvensung782:24 PM

    "The Swinging Sound of Soul" was my very first LP.I must have been around 8 years old.These Europa recordings were priced same as singles in these times.Donnie Burks was also a member of the Original "Hair" musical show. But this LP is really great.I would be very very glad if you would upload the whole album and post a link.
    Because this is "the" really essential album of my youth.

    ReplyDelete