Saturday, January 13, 2007

Little Royal I Can Tell Carnival


I was prompted to dig out Little Royal's classic deep soul side on Carnival because of two things. Firstly, somebody sent me the photo of him below which I had not seen before and secondly because I was re-reading the excellent article on the Carnival label in Issue 1 of Dave Moore's superb new magazine There's That Beat which was published last year and which should still be available.

I have also found a second photo of Little Royal with Huey Meaux who produced his later Tri Us sides and I will feature the photo and one of those sides in a later post.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:18 AM

    Just saw the man himself make a surprise appearance with the Just Us band on U St. in DC. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt

    Thanks for sharing news - Wow!! Wouldn't it be great to see him get gigs like Lee Fields & Charles Walker have been getting over the years???

    Any pics?????

    See ya

    Col

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool to find a picture of Little Royal. When I was an 18-year-old girl (the early 1980s), I sang with him at a gig in Syracuse, NY. Pat Benatar was in concert across the street, and the drummer & I sat in on her afternoon rehearsal. Little Royal had a smile that would light up Broadway! I'd love to get in touch with him again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:02 AM

    i played trumpet on some of those tracks with Little Royal in the early 70's Huey Meaux was the producer.

    ReplyDelete