Sunday, January 07, 2007

Jack Ashford & Funk Brothers European Tour in January 2007

I have had my ticket for sometime now and I am getting excited to see the guys perform again. I have just caught my friend Angelo Earl at the airport with the guys getting ready to come over to Europe. Angelo plays guitar with Jack Ashford's Funk Brothers and I am really looking forward to meeting up with again in Manchester.

I first met Angelo over in Memphis a few years back and have visited his Complex Club on a few occasions. Angelo was behind the excellent Tim Terry album which I featured on my Dark End Of The Street blog last year.

The Funk's gig in Manchester is at the excellent Bridgewater Hall - you can get details as follows:

The Bridgewater Hall Ring Box Office :- 0161 907 9000 Book tickets On-line :- http://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/ Date :- Thursday,25th January 2007 Time :- 8:00 pm

The Funks are also playing the Ronnie Scott's club in London as part of the tour.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Caught them last night at Ronnie Scott's. Entertaining, but will absolutely disappoint the purists (like myself) who hope to hear the original parts. The bass player is mainly a singer who plays decent bass (often checking with other players to see if he was playing the right notes), so you can kiss the original Jamerson lines goodbye. Oh well. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:01 AM

    I saw the Funk Brothers in Manchester last night. Only two of the original line up featured, a significant reduction from their previous tour two years ago. Jack Ashford and Joe Hunter can still do their stuff in spite of their advanced age but the show was stolen by a big girl with a bigger voice - Janille-Marie?.

    They were on at the Bridgewater Hall which is a bit of a clinical environment but they ripped it up, with a blast through (amongst others) My Girl, Get Ready,This Old Heart Of Mine, You Can't Hurry Love, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, How Sweet It Is, What's Going On, Shotgun, Heatwave, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, It's the Same Old Song, I Can't Help Myself, Uptight, Signed Sealed Delivered, Standing In The Shadows of Love, I Wish and finishing with an absolutely storming version of Shotgun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Soulfinger

    Thanks for the mini review.

    It was a very enjoyable night and I will be posting up a review on the blog with photos over this weekend.

    Larry Johnson ex-Bar Kays memember was the main man for me keeping the whole thing bubbling along!!!

    Cheers

    Colin

    ReplyDelete