Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cortez Harris

While I was catching up on Sixties Detroit Forum posts, I came across the announcement of Cortez Harris's death in July of the is year. Cortez was a one time member of the Al Hudson & The Soul Partners and One Way group in the 70's and 80's before embarking on a solo career.

Unfortunately, I know little about Cortez Harris except for his 2 gorgeous 45's for the National label in the mid-80's. I knew about his 1985 cut "Dream Girl" from about 1986/7 when my friend the DJ Martin Barnfather first played the song for me. Then last year, I picked up the above 45 off Ebay which turned out to be a sulty mid tempo song which has grown and grown on me since the first play.

Cortez did work with his former colleague, Kevin McCord, from his Soul Partner and One way days for example on Kevin's 2003 CD for P-Vine for which he wrote some songs as well as producing and arranging the album.

I had hope that when his death was mentioned that we would find out more about him but nothing has turned up so far.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    Cortez Harris and I combined our businesses into Dennis K. Hardison Productions, in 1977. Our office was located in the David Whitney Building on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit. We were 19 & 20 years of age at the time. During this time, he was a member of Al Hudson & the Soul Partners. I met Cortez through Daryl "Nady" Thomas, a neighborhood friend, who sang in other groups with Cortez. When Cortez and I first met, we were 14 & 15 years of age.

    The last time that I talked with Cortez; he produced two tracks on
    one of my clients, Katie Griffin in 1983, the songs were written and composed by Cortez, "Concentrate on Love," a slow ballad, and "I won't leave you," a duet with Cortez and Katie. We recorded these songs in a studio owned by R&B singer, Jerry Carr, who also served as the Engineer on these tracks.

    Cortez will be sadly missed by
    many. He was definitely a musical
    genius! One day, he took me to the late Al Perkins, his former business manager, for a meeting to serve as Al Hudson and the Soul Partner's road manager. I accepted the job one morning and resigned later that evening, as I felt that I would not be able to work with Al Perkins, his temper was well known.
    Nonetheless, as his career escalated, I learned a lot about the music business from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:42 AM

    do you know if nadi is still around?

    ReplyDelete