Friday, November 24, 2006

Towanda Barnes If I'm Guilty




As you can see I've now decided to start posting audio on the blog!!

We kick off with what I believe to be Gloria "Towanda" Barnes's first recording for the Groovy label circa 1967/68. I feel that it must be a New York recording with the involvement of Billy Frazier who I presume is the same guy who recorded for Verve and Capitol which were New York productions.

"If I'm Guilty" pre-dates Towanda's work with Johnny Brantley by about a year with her first recording for him on the A&M label circa 1969 before the Maple recordings in the early 70's.

Unfortunately, to date I have still not turned up any biographical details on the lady.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:55 PM

    this song is just marvellous. great voice and even better guitar play.

    ReplyDelete