Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sidney Hall I'm A Lover Shrine







The Shrine label is one the most famous labels on the rare soul scene because it is so difficult to find the 45's, and there are some vintage sides on the label, which have been popular on the dance floor. Ace Records issued 2 CDs compiled by Shrine "expert" Andy Rix in the 90's which allowed people access to these rare sides along with background liner notes based on Andy's extensive knowledge of the label. Goldmine also issued a further CD in 2003 of Shrine sides with a couple of 45's which didn't make the Ace collections. You can also find futher information on the label in Issue 20 of Derek Pearson's Shades Of Soul magazine.

I have picked out Sidney Hall's immaculate beat ballad from the mid- 60's which is reminiscent of Jimmy Radcliffe and others of that period. Besides choosing it for quality, it remains one of the few Shrine sides I have had my hands on and I still wish I had it my collection!!! You can find "I'm A Lover" on Volume 2 of Ace's Shrine CD. The above MP3 you can hear is from the original crackling 45 - pure atmosphere!!!!

Sidney was a former member of the Enjoyables who had a 45 on Shrine themselves as well as working behind the scenes at the company.

3 comments:

  1. There's a Shrine moment in YBF...You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete