Friday, January 20, 2006

Wilson Pickett 1941-2006

I was sitting at my computer last night when the message came up that the Wicked one had joined the greats up in heaven. You can see him now chatting to Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding, Joe Tex, Arthur Conley and Johnnie Taylor - heaven's going to get tore up tonight because Pickett is in town!

I grew up like many teenagers in the mid-60's hearing In The Midnight Hour and Land Of A Thousand Dances in my youth club. Those songs alongside other Atlantic and Stax recording artists gave the music a harder, grittier edge than Motown and was my introduction to Southern soul.

My lasting memory of him will be from 1996 on a stormy summer's night in London when I saw him perform a tremendous set full of energy and showmanship which will always live with me. Pickett RIP.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Interesting photo of Wilson P!Who's the guitarist behind Wilson playing a left handed Stratocaster? If I'm not mistaken it could well be a young James Hendrix esq!

    ReplyDelete