Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wilson Pickett Love Dagger Erva

Since I heard that Wilson Pickett died I have been playing plenty of his music - in fact last Friday 2oth I played nothing else dedicating the whole day to his music.

I've picked out the above side to feature because it was released during a "quiet period" of his musical career. Pickett recorded some fine music in Muscle Shoals and is a driving piece of music as ever from the man. I prefer this side but the B-side Time To Let The Sun Shine On Me probably has the best singing with Pickett really letting rip like only he could.

These 2 tracks are reputedly from an unissued album which he cut for Erva and came a year after his Chocolate Mountain album on Wicked which was his first after the halcyon RCA days of the early 70's. I was only reminded of this by my friend Jan Barker who recalls reading article in which Pickett tells the story behind the session. Unfortunately, neither of us can find the article!

It seems unbelievable now that he had to wait several more years before recording an album for EMI in 1981. Let's hope that someone digs into the vaults and finds the other Erva material and issues it in his memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment